At the end of each year, we like to take the time to write and reflect on all that has happened in the previous 12 months. We get so involved in each day, week, and month that sometimes we forget to reflect on the way these micro-decisions are shaping the dream that is Harper & Tucker. We kicked off 2020 with the announcement of our sustainability mission, two brick-and-mortar locations, a well established assortment of apparel and jewelry brands, and a website that operated quietly and seamlessly by itself. Since opening our first brick and mortar location in Newport, I don't think we have experienced a more defining year for Harper & Tucker than 2020.
Like many business owners, our original strategy, goals, and plans for 2020 were dashed in March and we had to act quickly to respond to a world in pandemic. We expanded our e-commerce strategy, closed our Providence store, made the hard decision to close in-store shopping in Newport through the summer, put some plans on pause, but still dreamed up new ones that will undoubtedly shape the future of Harper & Tucker.
We cannot express how grateful we are for the milestones we achieved in 2020, knowing that 100,000+ small businesses have closed permanently in the U.S. this past year. Closings of our peers weigh on us heavily, and we are just so utterly thankful for all who supported us throughout such a chaotic time. So, with that in mind, from our neighbors, to our landlord, to our customers, and vendors - we are dedicating last year's achievements to you and look forward to continuing the journey with you in 2021.
- Announced and launched our sustainability initiative
- Fulfilled 1,100 orders
- Moved our Newport store from 190 to 146 Bellevue
- Built out our new Newport shop, with the expertise of local contractor Arthur Mead
- Closed our Wayland Square shop
- Participated in the Together (Apart) campaign with fellow small businesses, providing funds for 8850 meals through Feeding America
- Hosted a Conscious Closet Clean-Out Challenge
- Launched local delivery + curbside pickup
- Introduced Harper & Tucker Care Packages
- Began offering virtual shopping appointments
- Worked with Heydt + Mason to create new types of imagery for our collections
- Hosted virtual H&T Happy Hours through the Spring & Summer
- Transitioned to using 100% recyclable, compostable, or biodegradable packaging, shipping materials and office supplies
- Launched Harper & Tucker Rewards
- Collectively wrote 39 blog posts
- Expanded on our Wellness + Lifestyle collections
- Partnered with the Potter League for Animals
- Launched AfterPay (more on this soon!)
- Launched a new website
- Shot our Fall edit with Maaike Bernstrom
- Added 9 new apparel brands, 1 new jewelry brand, and 6 new lifestyle brands to our assortment
- Grew the following for our newsletter, Instagram, and blog
- Increased online sales by over 140%
2020 has really changed everything for Harper & Tucker. While there were low moments and sleepless nights, there were also times of clarity and excitement. 2020 pushed us to innovate, and we then pushed ourselves to think and answer the question of "what could be?" As we embark into the New Year, we are grateful that we are still making our dream possible, hopeful for our next chapter, and determined to make it greater than we could have ever imagined.
With that in mind, we wanted to kick off 2021 with something special for you all - think of it as a farewell to 2020, hello to 2021 treat! Rather than just finding one piece you love, we want to help you find an entire outfit so your 2021 can start with a little extra brightness. Both when you shop in-store and at harperandtucker.com we are offering up to 50% off storewide! Use the discount code from the chart above (based on the total of your cart at checkout) to slash your total - sales are final but no exclusions apply. We hope you have fun playing with your cart and building the best deal on looks you love!
Let's ring in this New Year together with some hope for 2021, bigger dreams than we could have imagined, and something pretty to wear!
There is still time to plan your 2020 Holiday Party before the end of the season. We have some thoughts and tips for making your upcoming virtual gatherings merry, and extra festive and bright!