Sustainability is an important focal point right now in the fashion world, and our team at Harper & Tucker is hyper aware and saddened by how the fashion industry has contributed to issues for our planet and its people. At Harper & Tucker, it is our goal to contribute the least harm possible in all that we do, and to help drive positive change. The information out there about sustainable fashion is overwhelming, and we know how difficult it can be to be a conscious and savvy shopper. We are committed to transparency with our shoppers and want to outline for you the ways in which we prioritize sustainable fashion.
Clothes could have more meaning and longevity if we think less about owning the latest or cheapest thing and develop more of a relationship with the things we wear" - Elizabeth Cline, Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
Brands We Carry
Our shop is only filled with brands that share our commitment to progress toward sustainable fashion. What that means to us is transparency from the brand, and standards set for working conditions and environmental footprint.
Some of the things we look for are:
- Natural fibers, recycled, or dead stock fabrics instead of newly made synthetic materials
- Vegan materials instead of animal derived products
- Production in the USA
- If production is in another country, commitments to fair trade or partnerships with factories with certifications that spell out ethical codes for treatment of workers
- Recycled or compostable packaging
- Responsible sourcing of raw materials
- Classic and timeless pieces instead of trends that feed into fast fashion
Brands do not become sustainable overnight, and we fully understand that. We have chosen to partner with brands that we feel have made meaningful commitments to progress, give back where they can, and are doing more good than harm in their clothing's production.
On each brand's collection page, we will detail what that brand is doing to move toward sustainability. That way, you can have all the facts in one place so you can enjoy the fun of shopping without having to worry about where each garment came from, and how it was made.
At Harper & Tucker, our goal is to reduce our waste as much as possible, eliminate plastics, and use only materials that are recycled and recyclable or biodegradable and compostable. Adhesives and dyes used in printing must plant based and non-toxic. In order to accomplish this, we completely overhauled all of our packing and shipping materials to adhere to new standards.
- Our tissue paper is dye free, biodegradable, recycled, and recyclable.
- Our mailers are 100% biodegradable and compostable.
- Our tape is recyclable, renewable, and biodegradable - including the adhesive and backing!
- Our notecards and stickers are made from FSC certified recycled, acid free paper, and printed with soy-based inks - all to ensure that they are compostable and will biodegrade without leaving toxins behind.
We have included links to where we have sourced each piece of packaging, so that you can do your own research and even buy some for yourself, if you have the need! In this transition, we were able to completely eliminate plastics in our packaging, which we are beyond proud of. If you compost, you will be able to throw away everything we send you right in there. If you don't, our packaging will still decompose in the landfill, and the paper you can recycle!
If you have any questions about our sustainability mission, our practices, or one of our brand's practices, please contact us and we will do everything we can to get you the information you need!