Sustainable is Chic
We have been talking a lot about sustainability recently at Harper & Tucker (you can read all about our sustainability mission here). Last week, Natalie and I focused our conversation inward, completing the Conscious Closet Clean-Out and chatting about insights into our own wardrobes during our first H&T Happy Hour. Mindfully cleaning out and informing yourself about your closet is just step 1 in building an ethical wardrobe, so we are now excited to look ahead and show you some of the brands that made us fall in love with the community of sustainable fashion, and introduce you to these new designers that will soon be in our shop!
The whole world has slowed down due to COVID-19, and we have been so lucky that the brands we partner with have worked with us to handle unprecedented challenges. One effect is that our shipments are delayed, so we are expecting to get new collections later than originally planned. We didn't want that to delay your fun though, so we have put together a Pre-Order Collection so that you can have first access to our new arrivals! If you find something you love, pre-order now and know that you will be the first to receive that piece - we will ship it to you as soon as it arrives at our store. We do not yet have exact dates that pre-order items will ship, but we are hoping and anticipating that it should be within the month!
Whimsy + Row is handmade in LA under ethical conditions using only eco-friendly natural fabric and locally sourced deadstock textiles and materials. We love the idea that pieces are made of fabrics leftover by other brands that would otherwise end up in landfills - plus, each piece is like a vintage gem because each collection is made in tiny batches. We encourage you to read about their process - we are truly inspired by the purpose and care in each detail. We are obsessed with the easy, elegant style of Whimsy + Row, and the fits and fabrics that feel better every time you wear them.
If we had known how chic sustainability is, we would have committed to it from the beginning. Here are some of the reasons we love our new sustainable collections:
- Each season is made in limited batches. This means that each piece is special and unique - you won't find many other women wearing the same thing. Once the collection is sold out, you won't be able to find it again, and neither will anyone else!
- Buying from these sustainable designers means supporting other small businesses - often women owned and run. We have never been as grateful for our community of small businesses as we are now - personal relationships and kindness truly drive these partnerships. When small businesses come together, our thoughtful practices can make a big impact!
- Natural fibers make for higher quality fabrics. Linen, cotton, rayon, viscose, and tencel (just to name a few) all breathe and flow in a way traditional synthetics just can't. There's nothing more luxurious than knowing everything touching your skin is toxin free, both for you and your environment!
- The price tag is fair - you are paying for the most quality natural fabrics, modern designs, and ethical production, yet the cost is comparable to brands that offer none of the above. It makes you question if you would rather pay a premium for the name on the label, or tangible factors that make a difference.
- These brands truly believe in the future of sustainable fashion, and that means making pieces that last. The goal here is to give you all the joy that shopping brings, but for that joy to be less fleeting because you can treasure each piece you buy for years to come.
- We love transparency, and these brands will let you know exactly where their fabrics are sourced, what their factories look like, and even what they are doing to reduce, reuse, and recycle in their daily operations. All of those things matter to them, and they are glad that they matter to you, too!
- When thought is put into every step of a garment's production, you can feel the love and care poured into it. These pieces are truly artisan, handmade gems - from design to production. That couldn't be further from the mass produced mentality common in fast fashion. What's chicer than that?
We have never been more excited about new arrivals than we are right now - and these are just two new collections of many more to come soon! Take a peek at our Pre-Order Collection - each piece is few-of-a-kind, so we encourage you to snatch up anything you can't live without. Plus, we are keeping the party going this week with another H&T Happy Hour this Friday, April 17 at 5:30 EST at @harperantucker Instagram Live! Bring a cocktail and any questions you have - this week we are chatting about our new collections and why sustainable is so chic.